Image Map

Monday 23 February 2015

Beauty Tips For My Younger Self

Beauty-Tips-For-My-Younger-Self-Belle-Amie-UK-Beauty-Fashion-Lifestyle-Blog

Like many girls, when I was younger and in my early teens I was completely guilty of my fair share of beauty mishaps! It's only when you're older and a bit wiser on what actually works for you, do you look back and think "what the hell was I thinking?!".
I thought I would put together a list of these "beauty fails" to see whether any one else did these when they first started to experiment with beauty products! I'm definitely not saying that what I do now is perfect - you never know, I could rewrite this post in 10 years time and be criticising the things that I do now!

1. Put down those tweezers, Amie!
Who knew how lethal a pair of tweezers can actually be? Very is the answer and I'm sure most of you reading this will agree! I was definitely one of those girls that got a bit "tweezer-happy" in my early teens and one day decided that they had to be thin. Very thin in fact. Of course this looks ridiculous and I cringe whenever I see a picture of younger myself with these terrible brows. I actually went far enough once where I accidentally shaved off half my eye brow! Luckily I could hide it with my fringe, but I was so embarrassed that I think that's when I finally decided to give my brows a break.

2. Find the right skin care that actually works.
When I was younger I never stuck to a proper skin care routine. I either used the same products that my mum had bought for herself or just bought whatever was on offer at that time. With the added factor that I didn't even realise skin types existed, this meant I was constantly buying face scrubs/ cleansers that were for every skin type except my own! I never thought I had dry skin as I constantly had blemishes, so I continued to buy products for oily prone skin - which obviously made the situation worse! Throw in the fact I also have sensitive skin meant my skin was a mess, yet it was only when I was 16/17 that I started to sort out my skin care routine.  

3. Sort out your hair care routine!
My hair care routine was pretty similar to my skin care routine where I just used whatever I found in the bathroom at the time. Luckily I was quite clued up in the sense to use both shampoo and conditioner from a young age and that my hair didn't need washing everyday, so the condition wasn't too bad! But because my hair was curly, some days I suffered with fly aways and frizzy hair, so what was my solution for this? Well I used to put conditioner straight on to my dry hair in hope that it would smooth it down. Obviously it did smooth my hair down, but it also made it look ridiculously greasy and feel disgusting! I have no idea why I thought it was a good idea at the time, but thankfully I grew out of that habit!

4. Don't keep using makeup that clearly doesn't work for you.
Raise your hand if your 13 year old self thought the Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse was the best foundation invention ever *raises hand*. As I had no older sister to tell me what makeup I should actually be wearing, I let my younger self choose and of course I made all the wrong decisions! Dream Matte Mousse was the first to pop into my head. Despite using the lightest shade, I knew for a fact it was far too orange for me, yet I still carried on using it!

I was also a massive fan of glitter eye liner (gold being my favourite - lovely!) and used it on top of my liquid liner and lashings of mascara - it's a miracle I could even hold my eye lids up! I think I was slightly scared at the thought of swapping up my makeup, so I just stuck to the same products even if they didn't work for me! Luckily now I love to swap up my makeup, but I definitely won't be going back to these products! 

5. Get some dress sense girl!
Back in the day, I really didn't have a clue on fashion. Between the ages of 13 and 16 I had a weird sense of style and used to buy clothes that really did not suit me. I remember that I used to buy things from the Topshop and Miss Selfridge sales just because I wanted something from that brand, not because I'd actually ever wear it! This meant I collected some awful clothes that really weren't me and looked terrible on. When I wasn't wearing these, my typical look would be some unflattering jeans paired with the classic Primark ugg boots! Now that I work in the fashion retail industry, I do actually have some nice clothes (hallelujah), but I do remember it used to be such a struggle to pick out an outfit in my teens!

 I hope you enjoyed this post, I had a bit of a giggle to myself as I was writing this! Let me know whether you agree with any of these tips and leave your own in the comments below.

What beauty tips would you give your younger self?

20 comments:

  1. Hahah loved this post! Omg I was the same with the maybelline dream matte mouse! ahh memories!

    zaras-bowsandpearls.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Ahh everyone loved it at the time xx

      Delete
  2. dont get me started with number four! Maybelline Dream Matte Mouse was amazing, lol! I actually remember doing a post on it when i started blogging aha!

    i'd love for you to check out my latest post
    http://georgianicolaou.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure if you could match you skin colour to it, it might be okay but I was far too pale for them haha xx

      Delete
  3. Haha, I loved this! I think everyone had Dream Matte Mouse and painted it on their faces. Great post :)
    Elise @ Elise Dopson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) haha it was the go to foundation for every teenage girl! Xx

      Delete
  4. I completely agree with the dream matte mouse, I turned myself orange daily with the stuff LOL! I wasn't to bad with the tweezers but my skin routine was defiantly messed up (as was my hair). If I could go back I would tell myself to wear and look like what I wanted to, rather than complying to the trends everyone else is following. Great Post!!!!

    http://katsbeautytales.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here haha! Ahh great tip, always best to be yourself :) xx

      Delete
  5. Haha this is so relatable! I would like to know one teenage girl out there who DIDN'T use Dream Matte Mousse!
    Great post!
    Leanne xx

    nailsandteapots

    ReplyDelete

  6. I’m in love with your blog! It was so interesting to read your posts and also I’d like to say that you have beautiful photos!
    p.s. new post - how I met Victoria Beckham http://www.dianacloudlet.com/2015/02/victoria-beckham-zip-pouch-met-victoria-beckham.html

    Diana Cloudlet
    http://www.dianacloudlet.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a lovely read and I would tell myself the same things as I think many teens do the same things when it comes to beauty I guess before we learn.

    Jackie | fashionxfairytale | bloglovin' |

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely :) it's all part of the learning process! Everyone has to make mistakes xx

      Delete
  8. I hate looking back on my photos from around 4/5 years ago because my eyebrows were SO BAD! I think I thought every hair that didn't fit into the perfect line had to be plucked so they were so thin at the ends! Such a bad look! And omg I'm guilty of the dream matte mousse phase too!! Every girl in my class was using it, so of course I did too. God it was like painting your face! Great post, brought back some painful memories;) xx

    www.pillarbox-post.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine were so bad haha, super thin! Yes, it's so funny how girls just copied each other instead of finding a foundation that actually suited them haha! Thanks love xx

      Delete
  9. Haha love this! The Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse though! Love your blog btw xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got very tweezer happy too (my brows haven't been quite the same ever since)!! I wish I was more savvy about skincare and how my diet affects my skin! I feel like I wouldn't have suffered with breakouts so badly if I had xx

    Ramblings of a Beauty Bird | Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh yes, I was so bad about my diet and drinking my water when I was younger! That would have helped so much xx

      Delete

Thank you for reading and commenting. I love reading your comments and will try to reply to everyone's questions. If you have any questions you want to ask me directly, tweet me @beautybelleamie or e-mail me at belle-amiebeauty@hotmail.com ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...